Sunday, October 5, 2008

Politics makes me weary

So I'm in Tennessee, where apparently the election is on everyone's mind. Both sides just make me tired.

One time I read this book with a great quote: "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Like many of Jesus' words, I take this as simple wisdom. It's not a message on the importance of tolerance, it's a straightforward explanation of cause and effect. The measure you use for others is the same measure they'll use for you. If you cut them some slack, they'll do the same for you. If you go out of your way to paint them in the worst light possible, they'll do the same for you. Turnabout's fair play.

In an election season where neither side seems to have a grasp on basic human decency, it tires me to no end to hear defenders of either party try to lay claim to the moral high ground. You think your guy is the lesser of two evils? Fine, I'll not disagree with you. But please don't talk about character unless you're ready for the tables to be turned.

Just once in my life I'd love to see an election where somebody was worth voting for instead of voting against.

No comments: