Tuesday, September 23, 2008

How Long, O Lord?

I get it.

It's a fallen world, and sin has broken the Paradise that God created. Disease and death rule. God is on the move, though, and the world is slowly being patched up piece by piece. This isn't the final state of affairs, and there's a backup plan (heaven) in the meantime. We'll see each other again beyond the veil, and we have a hope of eternity.

But none of that knowledge felt useful as I sat next to a guy (my age) who just lost his dad (my dad's age). Healthy as a horse. Thursday he started feeling under the weather. Saturday they figured he might need to visit a doctor. Before dawn on Monday he was gone. What do you say to that?

Sometimes the theologically correct answer doesn't feel helpful.

How long, O LORD, must I call for help,
but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, "Violence!"
but you do not save?

Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrong?
Destruction and violence are before me;
there is strife, and conflict abounds.

No comments: